The Rail Safety Regulator’s (RSR) Annual Rail Safety Conference 2022 is a conducive forum for rail stakeholders to engage and collaborate on endeavours that will create safe, efficient, and reliable solutions to address the emerging risks within the South African railway industry and beyond.
Hosted by the RSR and sponsored by the Gautrain Management Agency as well as SAFreight Logistics (Pty) Ltd, under the theme “GEARING UP FOR SAFER RAIL IN 2030”, this year’s conference will be held in Cape Town from 10 – 12 October 2022 featuring presentations from local and international rail experts from various disciplines. The Deputy Minister of Transport, Honourable Sindisiwe Chikunga will address delegates on the first day of the conference after which the State of Safety Report (SoSR), which is published annually by the RSR, will be released.
Other key speakers joining Deputy Minister Chikunga during the Conference will include RSR Board Chairperson and Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Mr. Johannes Nobunga and Ms. Tshepo Kgare respectively, as well as Gautrain, Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa (PRASA), Transnet Freight Rail (TFR) CEOs.
The SoSR will lay the foundation for subsequent discussions on the following, among others:
- Sub-Theme 1: The finger problem – Human Factor Management in rail.
- Sub-Theme 2: Safe and secure train control systems – The future of digital encryption technologies. Technologies to improve safety performance of urban passenger rail systems.
- Sub-Theme 3: Next Generation of Railway Signalling Systems – Accelerating towards the dynamic, reliable and flexible railway of the future.
- Sub-Theme 4: Rollingstock Maintenance & Depot Optimisation – Adopting technology, working smarter and improving efficiencies.
- Sub-Theme 5: Mind the Gap – Human Factor Management
- Sub-Theme 6: Safety Risk Modelling
Members of the media are hereby invited to join the Conference from 10-11 October. A press briefing will be held on 10 October to unpack the SoSR.
Details of the event are as follows:
DATE: Monday, 10 October 2022
VENUE: Lord Charles Hotel- Somerset West (Cape Town)
Members of the media wishing to attend the event are requested to confirm their attendance with Celine Morolong on 067 946 1003 or Sam Monareng on 073 491 3382.